Moving waste up the hierarchy towards reuse, recycling and recovery contributes to the principles of a ‘green economy’ in a number of ways:
- Re-introduction of resources back into the economy
- Contribution to economic growth and job creation, and
- Reducing social and environmental costs
Organisations can gain a number of benefits from recycling their business waste. However, a waste activity such as recycling uses energy so your priority should be to reduce waste in the first place.
Benefits of recycling business waste
- Environmental benefits – recycling business waste means less disposal to landfill and less overall harm to the environment
- Business reputation – you can attract new customers, enhance your chances of winning contracts and improve customer loyalty by demonstrating your environmental responsibility through recycling efforts
- Reducing waste costs – managing and handling waste is costly, and reducing the amount of waste you send to landfill can bring savings
- Meeting legal obligations – businesses in some industries have a legal responsibility for disposal of their products; ensuring compliance through recycling schemes means avoiding penalties, fines or worse
ESS can assist both the private sector and local government to draft recycling strategies as part of their Waste Management Plans. We also assist with the implementation and monitoring of these strategies and plans.