The adverse impacts of waste management are best addressed by establishing integrated programs where all types of waste and all facets of the waste management process are considered together. The long-term goal should be to develop an integrated waste management system and build the technical, financial, and administrative capacity to manage and sustain it.
In South Africa the local authorities are responsible for waste management. Waste management is one of the most visible municipal services whose effectiveness and sustainability serves as an indicator for good local governance, sound municipal management and successful urban and rural reforms. Waste management, therefore, is a very good indicator of performance of a municipality. The management of its landfills forms an important part of a municipality’s integrated waste management system. Both municipalities and the private sector are involved in the management of landfills.
The aim of this course is to provide participants with a thorough understanding of the landfill management process.
Specific objectives include:
- Develop an insight into the importance of effective landfill management;
- Develop an understanding of the roles and responsibilities of different role-players toward effective management of landfills;
- Study examples how various municipalities/organisations manage their landfills; and
- Develop the skills to develop and implement a landfill management plan; and
- Equip staff involved in overseeing and managing landfills.
Who should attend?
- Local government community service managers
- Landfill managers
- Landfill supervisors
- Contractors managing landfills
- Environmental/Sustainability managers
- Business leaders
- Corporate waste managers and officers
- Officials from all tiers of government
Approach to the course
This Course is highly interactive and includes:
- Interactive presentations
- Class and small group discussions
- Studying examples of different landfills and the management thereof
Outline of the two-day training programme
The Course covers the following topics:
- Legislation, regulations and guidelines
- The context of landfill management, including the Integrated Development Plan (IDP), the Integrated Waste Management Plan (IWMP)and the Waste Hierarchy
- Management structure and responsibilities for landfill management
- Planning and designing for effective landfill management
- Effective operation of the landfill
- The role of waste reclamation in landfill management
- Monitoring of the various impacts of landfills
- Record keeping and reporting
- The various inspections and audits of landfills
- Closure, rehabilitation and post-closure monitoring and maintenance of landfills
- Financial provision for landfill closure and rehabilitation
Successful participants will receive an attendance certificate.
Register for the training here or contact:
Seakle Godschalk at email@example.com or +27 (0) 82 395 7582
Maryna Möhr at firstname.lastname@example.org or +27 (0) 82 882 7700