Carbon tax has been discussed in South Africa since 2010 when the first discussion paper was published for comments by the National Treasury. Carbon tax was implemented with effect from 1 June 2019.
Every company should assess the nature and extent of its liability for carbon tax, and start preparing for this new tax.
Aim and objectives of this course
The aim of this course is to provide participants with a thorough understanding of the carbon tax legislation and the implications thereof on companies.
Specific objectives include:
- Increase the working knowledge of the proposed carbon tax
- Develop an understanding of the structure of the tax
- Develop an understanding if the scopes to be taxed
- Develop an understanding of the emission sources
- Develop an understanding of the inclusion criteria
- Understand which sectors are not covered by the tax
- Develop an understanding of offsets
- Develop the skills to calculate your organisation’s carbon tax liability
Who should attend
- Business leaders
- Board members and other executives
- Corporate reporting managers
- Sustainability managers
- Carbon managers
- Energy managers
- Environmental managers
- Tax practitioners
- Practitioners (corporate and consultants) in the field of GHG emissions, reporting, carbon tax and credits
- Officials from all tiers of government
- Journalists covering climate change
Approach to the course
This course is highly interactive and includes:
- Interactive presentations
- Class and small group discussions
- Practical work
Outline of the one-day course
The course covers the following topics:
- Context of carbon tax
- The structure of the tax
- Scopes to be taxed
- Emission sources
- Inclusion criteria
- Sectors not covered by the tax
The course is offered by Kevin Tarr-Graham, Director at Water Energy Carbon Consulting, in collaboration with Environmental and Sustainability Solutions.
Successful participants will receive an attendance certificate.
Register for the course on our website at www.ess-sustainability.co.za or contact:
Seakle Godschalk at firstname.lastname@example.org or +27 (0) 82 395 7582
Maryna Möhr at email@example.com or +27 (0) 82 882 7700
The topic of Greenhouse Gas emissions is covered in a series of three related courses.
- Day 1: Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reporting
- Day 2: Carbon Tax 101(this course)
- Days 3-5: Greenhouse Gas Emissions Inventory
Participants who register for all three courses simultaneously (5 days) are offered a reduced registration fee.
To register for this course, please click here.