Businesses are being called upon to contribute to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) which were adopted in 2015 as the sustainable development agenda for the world to 2030.
The SDGs provide a framework for embedding sustainable development issues in an organization’s decision making, strategies and business model by: considering risks and opportunities presented by the external environment; and, acknowledging that creating value over time requires the organisation to acknowledge and address the risks and opportunities associated with social and environmental stewardship.
The aim of this course is to provide participants with a thorough understanding of the integrated use of the SDGs linking the Goals to the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Reporting Standards and the Integrated Reporting <IR> Framework.
Specific objectives include:
- Develop an insight into the context of the SDGs
- Develop the skills to embed the SDGs in organisations’ thinking and reporting.
- Develop the skills to develop a strategy to contribute to the SDGs through a business model
- Develop the skills to define sustainability priorities and setting goals
- Develop the skills to report and communicate on progress against the implementation of SDGs
- Develop an understanding to align the SDGs to the GRI Reporting Standards
Who should attend?
- Business leaders
- Board members and other executives
- Sustainability managers
- Financial officers
- Stakeholder engagement practitioners
- Corporate communication managers and officers
- Officials from all tiers of government
- Representatives from non-governmental organizations (NGOs)
Approach to the course
The training will consist of a number of highly interactive sessions, including class and group discussions, individual tasks, examples and case studies. Emphasis will be put on practical application of the training content. Delegates will be provided with relevant training material and supporting documentation and information.
Outline of the course
- The sustainability challenge
- The GRI standards and sustainability reporting
- Integrate the SDGs into your reporting process
- Business disclosures for the SDGs
- Case studies
This course is presented by Environmental & Sustainability Solutions (ESS), a GRI certified training provider in South Africa. ESS has offered GRI certified courses to more than a thousand participants from more than 200 organizations in South Africa, Zambia, Mauritania, Zimbabwe, Nigeria and Kenya – both in-house and open courses. Mr Seakle Godschalk and Dr Maryna Möhr are both GRI accredited trainers.
This course is internationally licensed by the GRI. Successful participants will receive an internationally recognized certificate of completion from the GRI.
For more information, contact Seakle Godschalk at firstname.lastname@example.org or +27 (0) 82 395 7582
To register for this course, click here.